How to change the surname in a passport?

Individuals who wish to change their middle name or surname should visit a Passport Seva Kendra or go to the official website, apply for re-issuing their passports, and download Form No.

 Fill in Form II under Miscellaneous Services.

Documents are also required to be submitted with the form:

  • A photocopy of the first two and last two pages of the original passport and a self-attested copy of each.
  • You will need to provide the following documents depending on the reason for the name change:
    When none of the above apply, a sworn affidavit, deed poll and original advertisement in two daily newspapers relating to the change of name are required (this must be submitted within 30 days after the advertisement was published).
    • After getting married, women who wish to change their name must submit a copy of their spouse’s passport (if applicable) as well as an attested copy of their Marriage Certificate along with photographs of themselves with their spouse (Annexure D).
    • In order to change one’s name after a divorce, one needs to submit a certified copy of the divorce decree along with a sworn affidavit (Annexure E’).
    • When remarrying, you must provide proof of your second marriage, divorce decree, and death certificate.

Passport Seva Kendra or online on the scheduled day is the only way to submit all of the above information. It will take a few days for the corrected passport to arrive.

3 thoughts on “How to change the surname in a passport?”

Leave a Comment